One of the most popular books of all time, The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, has influenced so many artists. Numerous theatrical productions, movies, songs, and other forms of art were inspired by it. The new movie, Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return is an animated sequel to the book, loosely based on the book Dorothy of Oz, and I recently attended a screening with my 7-year-old daughter which we both enjoyed. Here are five reasons to go see it:
1. The story is unique. My daughter has read the original book and loves it and for her, it was interesting to see a continuation of the story with the beloved characters from the original version and new characters to boot. She especially loved the China Princess, played by Megan Hilty.
2. The 3-D animation is very impressive. Every time I see a 3D movie the technology keeps getting better and better and this movie is no exception. The animation is top-notch and in my opinion, that alone makes it worth watching. The opening credits were especially unique and entertaining.
3. The talent is unreal: Lea Michele as Dorothy, Dan Aykroyd as the Scarecrow, Kelsey Grammer as the Tin Man, James Belushi as the Lion, Martin Short as the Jester, Bernadette Peters as Glinda, Patrick Stewart as Tugg and Megan Hilty as China Princess.
4. The incredibly talented Bryan Adams led the songwriting team!
5. In the story, Dorothy goes back to Oz to help old friends from the evil Jester (who’s the brother of the Wicked Witch of the West) and meets new friends along the way. There are some scary parts but nothing my daughter couldn’t handle. Everything about the plot is written with kids in mind and that is probably the biggest reason my daughter loved it so much.
Verdict: Go see it if you have kids who can handle some scary parts but love creativity and 3D movies.
Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return is rated PG and is now playing in theaters.
I was not compensated for this post. I attended a screening of the film.